Message from the Director General
for the 2018-2019 School Year
The Central Quebec School Board (CQSB) is pleased to welcome back close to 4,800 students for the 2018-2019 school year. After an active summer of professional development activities for staff and numerous upgrades to our facilities, the smell of fresh floor wax now reminds us that students will be returning to class in just a few days. Our teachers, support and professional staff hustle to prepare classrooms and our administrative teams attend to every last detail to make the first day a welcoming and exciting one for everyone.
School year 2017-2018 has brought upon the CQSB some exciting news;
- We will be planning the building of 2 new schools to replace aging buildings in the Québec City area.
- We were able to convince the government to fund new bus routes to alleviate time spent on school buses for some of our students.
- Our enrolment is at an all-time high and we will be looking for funding to expand some of our existing schools where space is becoming a challenge.
- After a long political battle, our government has reformed school taxation thus bringing equity to CQSB tax payers.
- Over the last year and continuing this coming year, we have distributed close to 3 million dollars to schools in order to increase direct services to students.
- This year, we will be investing over $570,000 in technological tools to continue enhancing student learning.
- Last, but certainly not least – once again, our students have performed extremely well at the June 2018 uniform exams. Our success rate is one of the highest we have seen. Well done!
We are very proud of our accomplishments, but the journey continues.
It is an especially exhilarating time to be part of our school community as the school board implements its first Commitment to Success Plan and supports each school and centre in developing their own Educational Projects. While the specific goals of each area are in process of being determined, our overarching goal is to ensure that the CQSB remains a school board dedicated to excellence and continues to provide a personalized pathway of success for all students.
We often hear of sad stories of bullying in the media and that is a concern that we share. Acceptance and respect for each other are what we aspire to preserve in our school communities. While some conflicting messages in the media may cloud the issues at times, the Central Quebec School Board’s core beliefs are unwavering. We will not permit our school cultures to erode with any acts of discrimination, harassment, bullying, or hatred. Our core beliefs speak to kindness, acceptance, and respect for all – without exception. This message will continue to be shared often and clearly with our students.
We are privileged to serve the students and families of our communities. Every year brings with it a new journey for each student. Our commitment, in partnership with our families, ensures that together we can support the success of each student.
On behalf of our Leadership team, and all our employees thank you for choosing to entrust your children to the Central Quebec School Board.
Have a successful 2018-2019 school year.
Stephen Pigeon, Director General
The masculine generic refers to both the masculine and feminine genders and is used for conciseness purposes only.
© All rights reserved to the Central Québec School Board