Shawinigan High School is a combined elementary and secondary school serving the Shawinigan area and surrounding municipalities. It is located in the city of Shawinigan situated in the region of La Mauricie. The main access roads to the region of La Mauricie are Autoroutes 40 and 55 as well as provincial roads 138 and 155.
We, the Shawinigan High School community (students, parents and staff) are committed to academic excellence. We believe the student will attain academic excellence, the achievement of one’s personal best, through patience, perseverance, and participation. We also believe that the staff and parents can aid in the attainment of academic excellence through cooperation, collaboration, and caring. Together, we can do it! The following beliefs and values are the pillars of our community:
We believe every person has the right to be respected but also the obligation to respect themselves, others and property
We believe in a caring, open, and friendly environment and in a place where everyone can learn.
We believe in promoting pride by celebrating our community, our efforts and our accomplishments.
We believe that excellence is defined by the achievement of one’s personal best and we encourage all of our members to reach their fullest potential.
A Small School Community- small classes, individual support and attention, a sense of belonging and knowing everyone in the community, group work is easily facilitated, K-11 continuum for students, small numbers means easier to adapt programs and material to individual needs.
Strong Bilingual program – 97% of our students are Francophone first language students at our school to learn English. Because of this fact, home and community support French Language mastery, school provides English instruction. The result is a Bilingual student graduate.
Unique – SHS is the only English language school in the Shawinigan region and we are able to offer our graduates more opportunities for post-secondary schools (French & English).
At SHS, you will find:
- Staff members are qualified, dedicated, concerned and always present
- Daycare – before and after school
- All-day Kindergarten
- Tutoring Services (all levels)
- School subsidized Breakfast Program (all levels)
- A renowned Basketball Program (Mini, Cadet & Juvenile)
- Balanced Literacy Program (All Levels)
- Computer Program (All levels)
- Library/Resource Program (All Levels)
- Challenging Math Program (All Levels)
- Full Academic Requisites from K-Secondary 5
- An Alternative Secondary Program – Work/Study
- A Study Hall Program supervised by teachers provides students, at noon and after school, with a place to get extra help or simply a quiet place to do their work
- A School Dress Code
- An active Governing Board comprised of staff/students/parents involved in student/school success decisions
- A Distance Education Option (on-line for specific subjects)
- A Hot Lunch Program
Traditional setting with updated facilities:
- New Gym
- New Library/Resource Centre
- New Computer Lab
- New and Improved Playground
- Clean and safe
- Close to town facilities (arena, outdoor rinks, city hall, public bussing, courthouse)
- Special Education Technicians
- French Second Language Tutor
- Guidance Counsellor
- Basketball, Ultimate Frisbee, Flag Football
- Educational Field Trips
- Music, Drama Club
- Terry Fox Run
- Benson Track & Field
- Christmas Concert
- SHS Celebrates
Participation of Parents
- Governing Board Home & School Association