Naskapis were nomads who moved all over northern Quebec following
the caribou. The first trading post was built at Fort Chimo in 1830.
A year later the Naskapis began trading at Fort Chimo, which meant
that the Naskapis depended less on the caribou and more on the trading.
In 1841, the Hudson Bay Company closed down Fort Chimo and relocated
their trading post to fort Nascopi on Lake Petitskipau. The Naskapis
only choice was to move where the new trading post was.
29 years later Fort Nascopi was abandoned because it was hard to supply
the post. Fort Chimo reopened. The Naskapis had to move back to Fort
Chimo because they needed to trade.
By 1915, Fort Chimo is closed again which means that the Naskapis
were forced to move again to trade. The new location is Fort McKenzie.
The post closed down after 33 years.
By 1956 the Fort Chimo were not as successful and this caused the
Naskapis to live poorly and reach starvation. The Naskapis headed
southwest to Schefferville where a mine had recently opened. They
were looking to find work and they wanted better living conditions.
In 1957, the Naskapis moved to John Lake. In 1971, the government
builds houses for the Naskapis in Matimekosh where the Montagnais
On January 31, 1978, the Naskapis signed an agreement, which gave
them power and money to make their own government. Today January 31st
is known as Naskapi Day in Kawawa. By 1983, some families are ready
to move to the new village of Kawawachikamach.